With it being the beginning of the year, everyone is still on their health kicks and one of my FAVORITE foods of all time, yes all time, is an Acai bowl. That's pronounced, aww-sigh-ee for those of you who don't know. Acai is a berry that comes from the acai palm tree which is native to central and south America. Not only does it taste amazing but it's good for you because it is full of antioxidants, more so then other berries.
Typically, acai is made into a smoothie like constancy and blended with other fruits and juices. A real acai bowl will be a dark purple color and will be topped with granola and other sliced fruit. Don't be fooled by the " smoothie bowl" trend that is out there because those aren't acai bowls if they don't have acai. Those "smoothie bowls" are packed full of sugar and other unhealthy things. So if you want the real acai experience it must have no added junk in it! Trust me, the acai bowls taste BETTER anyway. Acai is perfect because it tastes good, its good for you and its pretty much THE perfect food to have before or after a work out! I like to eat it after a workout because I am hypoglycemic and the natural sugar from the fruit keeps me balanced! The BEST part? You can easily make them at home! I seriously have gotten about 15 people obsessed with acai and they frequently make it at home now!
Acai bowls can be topped with pretty much everything ( but must include granola and fruit!!) You can make them really fancy and pretty too, if you want to spend the time! I personally just like the simple bowl with fresh fruit on top! How do you like your acai? Have you ever tried acai? Comment below and let me know your thoughts or share pictures of your acai bowls!
Best ever acai bowl
- Sambazon Acai frozen packs, I get the unsweetened one
- Frozen bananas, must be frozen
- Unsweetened almond or coconut milk, you can also use apple juice if you want it just adds more sugar.
- Sliced, clean fruit of choice. I use strawberries, kiwi, banana, mango or whatever fruit is in season.
For the bowl
- In a blender, put 1 pack of frozen acai, 1 frozen banana and 1/2 cup coconut milk (or whatever liquid you chose.) Blend until completely smooth, it should be thick like a smoothie and not runny at all. If it is, add more banana and some ice. If it is too thick add more liquid.
- Wash and slice your fruit. Make sure it is dry before placing in bowl.
- Pour the contents of the blender into a large bowl. Top it with the desired amount of granola. Then add your fruit. Its that easy! If you want to be fancy, add whatever else you would like. Tasty!