With Fathers Day being less than a week away we defiantly need to talk about the history of this important holiday! What better way to celebrate dad then with these little grill cupcakes! My dad loves to grill and use his smoker, so these cupcakes felt more than fitting.
The first official Fathers Day was on July 5th, 1908 in Virginia, however, this day was more of a memoriam for men who died in an explosion in the previous year. The first Fathers Day that somewhat resembles the one we have today was in Washington state on June 16th, 1910.
The holiday continued to catch on through out the country and in 1924 president Calvin Coolidge persuaded state governments to observe Fathers Day. It wasn’t until many years later in 1972, that Richard Nixon signed a proclamation making Fathers Day a federal holiday. Today, Fathers Day is a huge holiday across the United States and generates over 1 billion dollars each year!!
In my family, we always try to do a little something for Fathers Day (and Mothers Day), which usually involves a BBQ ( I told you, he likes to grill) and a small gift. What do you do to celebrate Fathers Day?
Chocolate Grill Cupcakes
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract, pure
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 3 eggs, at room temp.
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 3 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/2 stick of shortening
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Orange and Red food coloring
- 6 oz. melted chocolate
- Gummy Bears
Grill and Kabobs
For the cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and sugars together until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in the warm water just until combined.
- Evenly put batter into each of the cupcake liners. Bake for 25- 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes clean.
- Let cool before frosting, tasty!
For the frosting
- Beat the butter and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium- high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time, increasing the speed to medium-high.
- Repeat with the remaining cup, beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and milk.
- Fill plastic piping bag with frosting with the tip of your choice.You can use any tip like this Wilton Decorating Open Star Icing Tip 4B
- Begin piping on each cupcake.
- On a piece of parchment paper, use the melted chocolate in a piping bag to pipe circles about the size of the top of the cupcake. Then Make lines going at an angle to create a grate look. Place in freezer until you are ready to put on the cupcakes
- Using scissors cut up the gummy bears. Take a piece of each kind of gummy bear and push them onto a toothpick. I alternated the colors to make it look for realistic.
- Place the chocolate grill pieces on top of each cupcake. Then place the gummy bear kabob on top of each and enjoy with dad!
For Grill and Kabobs
Subscribe to Sprinkles of History
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox