Stop chasing the rainbow and chase these magically delicious Rainbow Sandwich cookies! They are perfect for any leprechaun...or anyone who wants to enjoy a scrumptious cookie this St. Patrick's Day!
Rainbow Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup of butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg, room temp.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 block cream cheese frosting, room temp.
- 1 stick of butter, room temp.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- gel food coloring
For the cookies
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 mins. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Add the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the mixer and mix until just combined. Stir in the chips.
- Line a baking pan and scoop out 8 balls of equal size, each ball should be 4.3 oz.
- Place 4 of the balls on the lined sheet. Place each ball 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 10-11 mins. Allow the cookies to cool for 15-20 mins. or the cookie will fall apart.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- Beat in vanilla and a pinch of salt
- To get the rainbow effect seperate your frosting out into six bowls. Next put some gel food coloring into each bowl, but be sure to use a different color in each bowl.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap on a clean surface. Now take a little bit of one color and spread it on the plastic wrap in a line. Take the next color and make a line with it right next to the line you made before. Repeat this for every color until all colors are lined up on the plastic wrap. Roll the frosting over itself so you are basically making a cookie dough roll shape. There will be some plastic wrap left on the end cut the excess off on one side. Place the rolled frosting cut side down into your piping bag. Make sure you have the tip in the bag first!
- Begin piping on the bottom of one cookie and then smoosh it together with the bottom of a simialr sized cookie. Place in the fridge for about 5 mins to set. Tasty!