Its November 11th, which means that today is one of the most important days for our country, Veterans Day. Today we reflect as a country on the sacrifice and bravery our nation's military has shown for hundreds of years. To honor all our veterans, I have created this patriotic Marine Corps cupcake.
While I am not a member of the military my family is full of veterans! My dad is an Army veteran who served during the Gulf War and my younger brother currently serves as a Marine. I am very proud of both of them and their commitment to our country!
Each branch in our military has its own history, but I was particularly curious about the history of the Marine Corps. So, I went straight to the source to get more information. My brother wrote this guest entry to help me out!
"From the first two battalions formed in 1775 by Captain Samuel Nicholas in Tun Tavern, the Battle of Iwo Jima to “I.E.D.” (Improvised Explosive Devise) patrols in the crowded streets on Afghanistan, the United States Marine Corps has had a very long and prideful tradition. The Marines have been the most prideful branch for the past 243 years. The Marines started as a division of the Navy. The Marines would sit atop the ships in a sniper’s nest protecting the Sailors down below as Pirates from the Barbary Wars tried to loot and raid the ships. Over the years the Marines continued to grow and develop, they started branching out from the Navy before eventually becoming their own entity. While still a department of the Navy, the Marine Corps is full of the most feared and crazy individuals that have walked this planet. To this day, the Marines have upheld their tradition and kept the world a safe place even though there are only 234,000 active duty Marines to date."
WOW! I had no idea the Marine Corps has such a rich history! It is so important that we remember and honor all who have served our country and kept us safe in all our countries battles!
Thank you to all who have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice! Thank a veteran today, you do not know how meaningful it is! Do you know anyone who has served or did you serve? Did you know the history of the Marine Corps?
Marine Corps Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour.
- 2 tabsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, at room temp.
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. pure vaniila extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temp.
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temp.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 stciks butter,unsalted at room temp.
For the cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake tin with liners.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, vinegar and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Beat the butter, oil and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time; beat until thick, 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium low; beat in the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk mixture. Beat just until smooth, then finish mixing with a rubber spatula.
- Fill the liners 2/3 way up with batter.
- Bake the cupcakes for 16-18 minutes.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium- high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time, increasing the speed to medium-high.
- Repeat with the remaining 4 cups, beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and milk.
- Add gel food coloring of your choice, I chose red for the red marines wear.