My brother is one of my very best friends and he always has been, even though I’m 4 years older (and wiser?) Growing up we would occasionally get candy from our parents or we would get candy as rewards for things like doing the dishes (my least favorite).
I would always choose Kit Kat’s and not just because that’s also my nickname! My brother would always choose Reese’s peanut butter cups. I mean this kid loved (and still does) anything Peanut butter. He would wake up at like 5 am and make himself a PB sandwich to snack on before anyone else was even awake. Every Easter, he would get almost exclusively peanut butter cups or peanut butter flavored candy.
I would get Kit Kat’s! Yay!
I can’t blame him though, what’s not to like about peanut butter and for that matter Reese’s peanut butter cups? My mom, as I’ve said before, uses only 3 recipes for frosting normally, but the peanut butter frosting recipe is one she uses when she’s feeling crazy!
Reese’s peanut butter cups were invented (luckily for my brothers sake) by Harry Burnett (H.B.) Reese.
In 1917, Reese took a job as a dairy farmer for the Hershey Chocolate company in Pennsylvania. I bet at the time he had no idea the impact this would have on his life!
Reese worked at the farm for several years and was inspired by all the chocolate to start creating his own confections in his basement.
In the 1920s, the little chocolate confections he created started selling well at the local market. He started doing so well that he decided to create the H.B Reese’s candy company.
Towards the end of the 1920s, he started making a chocolate peanut butter cup that he called “penny cups.” They only cost a penny, hence the name.His company took off and was very profitable, with the peanut butter cups being the most popular item.
When WWII came around supplies became scarce and the company stopped selling everything but the peanut butter cups.
Sadly, H.B died in 1956 and his sons sold the company to Hershey candy company.
Today, we still enjoy peanut butter cups in all its forms from original to Reese’s pieces to the big cups.
This cupcake is a chocolate cupcake with the best peanut butter frosting in the world and has some of the famous Reese’s pieces sprinkled on top!
What’s your favorite kind Reese’s chocolate?
This post probably contains affiliate links. My full disclosure policy is really boring, but you can find it HERE)
Reeses Pieces Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract, pure
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 3 eggs, at room temp.
- Reese's pieces
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
For the cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and sugars together until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in the warm water just until combined.
- Evenly put batter into each of the cupcake liners. Bake for 25- 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes clean.
- Let cool before frosting, tasty!
For the frosting
- Using either a stand mixed or hand mixer, in a large bowl, combine peanut butter and butter until fully incorporated. Add vanilla extract. Add sugar, half at a time. Add cream. Beat until well combined.
- Use as a dip for fruit (delicious with apples) or frost cakes, cupcakes, filling in cookie sandwiches.
- Fill plastic piping bag with frosting with the tip of your choice.You can use any tip like this 7pcs Set Stainless Steel Sphere Ball Tips Russian Icing Piping Nozzles Tips Pastry Cake Fondant Cupcake Buttercream DIY Baking Tools. Begin piping on each cupcake! Place your reese's pieces on each cupcake. Enjoy!