If you’re anything like me, sometimes you just don’t want a whole cupcake or slice of cake; the solution - Cake pops! I love cake pops, far more then I love cake! There’s just something about the soft, almost batter-like consistency. But where did these chocolate covered cake balls come from?
Cake pops were invented in 2008 by Bakerella, also known as Angie Dudley from Georgia. She started blogging a year prior under the name Bakerella. She started as an amateur baker who loved it so much, she started a blog (sound familiar?)
This delectable dessert that has taken the country by storm was invented on February 1st 2008, making that date National Cake pop day!
Cake pops have been turned into works of art and some bakers have created cake pops that resemble anything. From Minions to Winnie the Pooh.
What’s your favorite cake pop flavor or design? I personally can’t resist a birthday cake pop!
Chocolate Cake Pops
- Baked chocolate cake or cupcakes
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp. of vanilla
- 8 oz. of chocolate chips
- 8 oz. of white chocolate chips
- Sticks of choice
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Crumble the cupcakes in a bowl. Crumble each cupcake until they are fine crumbs of the same size.
- In a small bowl, mix shortening and butter together. Then add the vanilla and sugar. Mix well.
- Take a 1/2 cup of the frosting and put it in the crumbled cupcakes. Use a mixer to mix frosting in well.
- Make a small ball or whatever shape you want with the dough. Place them in the freezer for 10 mins so they can harden a little.
- While the dough is cooling, melt the white chocolate in a bowl.
- Take the dough out and dip one stick in the white chocolate, just a little. Then stick the dough on the end with the white chocolate. Place back on the tray and repeat for each ball or shape. Once all have sticks, place back in the freezer for 5 mins.
- While the dough is cooling, melt the chocolate in a bowl. Also make sure the white chocolate is still liquid.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and dip each one in the melted chocolate of your choice. If you are going to use sprinkles, put them on immediatly. Place them back in the freezer to chill once again for 5 mins. Enjoy!