The Irish have a long history here in America and I am so proud to be Irish myself! There are so many commonly known facts about the Irish in America, but this is a list of my top 5 favorite unknown facts!
- The Irish came to the United States as far back as colonial times and not all Irish immigrants of the time were poor.
- Between 1820 and 1930 over 4.5 million Irish came to America.
- During the big wave of Irish who came over during the potato famine, there were more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland.
- The Irish were often antagonized and targeted by the Ku Klux Klan. Americans view of the Irish changed in the early 20th century and became accepted by others as equals.
- By the 1960s, John F. Kennedy, who was Irish, was elected President of the United States. He won votes in the election because he was catholic and Irish.
There is so much more to Irish history. It is so fascinating how much the Irish have struggled and what they have overcome.
What was your favorite fact I shared? What did you find shocking or never knew?
Irish Green Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green gel food coloring
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, unsalted at room temp.
- Optional, food coloring
For the cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate each. Mix in the sour cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix in the flour until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs or clean.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter, cream cheese and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time, increasing the speed to medium-high.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 cups, beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Fill plastic piping bag with frosting with the tip of your choice. Begin piping on each cupcake! Enjoy!