Halloween is such a special time of year, with all the mystery and magic it brings. Speaking of magic, Halloween wouldn’t be just right without some good old magic from our favorite witch. Which witch do you ask? Of course, the Witch Next Door!
One of my favorite books of all time, The Witch Next Door by Norman Bridwell, is an absolute Halloween classic. This book has been around for 53 years and it has brought so much joy and love for witches to thousands of people. The witch in this book is quite kind and not what people think of as the typical witch.
Looking at the history of witches, the kindness and special nature of the Witch Next Door becomes more obvious. While we have seen some good witches, those who considered themselves to be real witches during the time of the Salem witch trials, were not good. In America during the colonial times, witch hysteria was beginning to grow, especially in the well-known town of Salem, Massachusetts.
In 1692, the notorious Salem witch trials began when two sick girls said they were witches. This caused a huge fuss and over 150 women were accused of being witches. Many of which, were put to death. Many of these women were accused of doing horrible things like killing their neighbors' pigs and casting spells that would ruin crops. Yikes! I am so glad we have the thoughtful and nice Witch from Next door because I definitely wouldn’t want a Salem witch to live next door!
To celebrate our favorite witch, I have come up with some adorable and tasty cupcakes, that will put you under a spell!
Do you love the Witch Next Door? What memories do you have of reading this book? Please share and post pictures of your Witch cupcakes, I’d love to see!
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- Green food coloring gel
- Set the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Add the boiling water. Batter will be runny.
- Scoop batter into the cupcake liners, filling them 2/3 way full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes.
- Put softened butter in a bowl and mix it on medium until it is smooth.
- Add in the vanilla, food coloring and whipping cream.
- Mix in on medium.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Make sure to mix well and there are no lumps.
- Decorate cupcakes as desired.